Re: NFS and security

hi ya rafaele

if the other system needs to be able to read root owned files...

than have this server send that file to the other side....
	"that file" being one of this types of files:
	chmod 400 /etc/foo.txt
	chown root.root /etc/foo.txt

	scp /etc/foo.txt  otherside:/etc/someplace

	-- or --

	scp otherside:/etc/foo.txt /tmp
	diff /tmp/foo.txt /etc

	-- or --

	scp /net/otherside/etc/foo.txt  /etc

you dont necessarily need/want no_root_squash to disable protection
of root-owned file... it's root owned and protected for a reason

	and if you're doing chmod 777 /something/foo.txt
	-- than that's even more reason and definitely disable
	   no_root_squash and find a better way of doing stuff
	 ( you do not want either chmod 77x nor disabled root_squash )

===
=== turn offf root_squash
===

c ya