Re: problem with bootdisks - not booting

Duke wrote:
> Tried the rescue image in the 'root' directory, no dice.
> I've also looked in both the system and scsi bios for
> boot options.  In the system bios, it doesn't list the
> cdrom as a bootable device, and in the scsi bios, it
> doesn't mention anything at all about bootable devices.

I'm a little bit mystified why the boot floppies aren't
working correctly...

The system bios doesn't really matter, so long as it is set
to boot from 'SCSI', and, if no IDE hds are present then
even that doesn't matter.
But the SCSI Select system should have the option to select
a boot device - I have two different Adaptec cards (a 2940UW
and an older ISA 1542CP) which both employ the same system.
Anyway, first go to SCSI Disk Utilities and note the SCSI
ID# of the CDROM drive (your SCSI hd will almost certainly
be '0' and the host adapter will be '7'). Get back to the
main menu and select 'Configure Adapter/Host settings' (or
something like that). Then move down to Boot Device Options
and hit enter twice. Select the SCSI ID# corresponding to
your CDROM drive, save when prompted, exit and reboot. If
you've got a bootable CD in the drive it should work (boot,
that is). Once you're done installing you'll have to reset
the boot device to '0' or whatever the hd is.

--
David P. James
Ottawa, Ontario

The bureaucratic mentality is the only constant in the universe.
-Dr. Leonard McCoy, Star Trek IV