Re: problem with bootdisks - not booting

Tried the rescue image in the 'root' directory, no dice. I've also looked in both the system and scsi bios for boot options. In the system bios, it doesn't list the cdrom as a bootable device, and in the scsi bios, it doesn't mention anything at all about bootable devices.

Thanks,

	-- Duke.

David P James wrote:
Duke wrote:
 > I'm a first time Debian user - not even that, since I
 > can't even install it ;)  I'm using the boot disks found
 > in
 > http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/Debian2.2r6/main/di-
 >  sks-i386/2.2.26-2001-06-14/images-1.44/
 >
 > /compact and /safe.

Well you could try the images in the above 'root' directory
rather than those from /compact and /safe ... that's what I did.

 > After successfully dd'ing the images to a few floppies, I
 >  tried booting first with the "rescue.bin" disk.  I see
 > all the Debian stuff come up, and I get to the "boot:"
 > prompt.  There are no parameters I'm aware of that I need
 >  to pass, so I hit enter to continue.  I then get
 > please change disks and press a key to continue."  I
 > assumed that meant I needed the root disk, but that
 > didn't work. I've tried a dozen different floppy disks,
 > with images from both /current and /safe, with no
 > success.

I was going to suggest using other floppy disks, but you've
already done that (I once did have a problem with a bad
disk). :)

 > The system I've got is an IBM Personal Computer, P133, 40
 >  megs ram, ATI All-in-Wonder PCI vga adapter, SCSI
 > Adaptec AHA-2940 adapter, with scsi HD, scsi cd-rom, and
 > scsi tape drive.  Unfortunatly I don't believe it's
 > possible to boot from cd on this system.  I also think
 > it's a PCI/MCA system.

It should be possible to boot from a scsi cd on your system
with that card. When your computer starts and the Adaptec SCSI
BIOS lines show up press <cntrl-A> to enter the SCSI Select
utility. I can't remember off-hand how to change the boot
device in there but it is certainly possible - I know it is
not too difficult though.

Good luck