Re: problem with bootdisks - not booting

Duke wrote:
> I'm a first time Debian user - not even that, since I
> can't even install it ;)  I'm using the boot disks found
> in
> http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/Debian2.2r6/main/di-
>  sks-i386/2.2.26-2001-06-14/images-1.44/
>
> /compact and /safe.

Well you could try the images in the above 'root' directory
rather than those from /compact and /safe ... that's what I did.

> After successfully dd'ing the images to a few floppies, I
>  tried booting first with the "rescue.bin" disk.  I see
> all the Debian stuff come up, and I get to the "boot:"
> prompt.  There are no parameters I'm aware of that I need
>  to pass, so I hit enter to continue.  I then get
> please change disks and press a key to continue."  I
> assumed that meant I needed the root disk, but that
> didn't work. I've tried a dozen different floppy disks,
> with images from both /current and /safe, with no
> success.

I was going to suggest using other floppy disks, but you've
already done that (I once did have a problem with a bad
disk). :)

> The system I've got is an IBM Personal Computer, P133, 40
>  megs ram, ATI All-in-Wonder PCI vga adapter, SCSI
> Adaptec AHA-2940 adapter, with scsi HD, scsi cd-rom, and
> scsi tape drive.  Unfortunatly I don't believe it's
> possible to boot from cd on this system.  I also think
> it's a PCI/MCA system.

It should be possible to boot from a scsi cd on your system
with that card. When your computer starts and the Adaptec SCSI
BIOS lines show up press <cntrl-A> to enter the SCSI Select
utility. I can't remember off-hand how to change the boot
device in there but it is certainly possible - I know it is
not too difficult though.

Good luck
--
David P. James
Ottawa, Ontario

The bureaucratic mentality is the only constant in the universe.
-Dr. Leonard McCoy, Star Trek IV