Re: scsi emulation support is not working

High,

On Fri, 21 Jun 2002, Marcelo Chiapparini wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have two ide-atapi devices: a cdrom and a crwriter. The cdrom is at
> hdc and the cdwriter is at hdd, as showed by dmesg:
>
> "hdc: ATAPI 56X CD-ROM drive, 128kB Cache
> Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.12
> hdd: ATAPI 32X CD-ROM CD-R/RW drive, 8192kB Cache"
>
> I order to put the cdwriter to work, I've compiled the kernel with "scsi
> support", "scsi generict support" and "scsi emulation support". These
> option are loaded at boot time, as showed by dmesg:

Have you also compiled the scsi-cdrom support in the kernel, or as module?
it should not make a difference, but it can be tried.

> "SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
> scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices"
>
> I have alse added the line
>
> append = "hdd=ide-scsi"
>
> in lilo.conf. (Thanks to Arthur, Sebastian and Robert!)

Hmm, I really have only "hdd=scsi" and it worked back then:
image=/vmlinuz
        label=Linux
        read-only
        append="hdd=scsi"

> After reboot, I can access to both devices without problems.
>
> To burn the cd's I have installed xcdroast. When I run xcdroast for the
> first time as root I get the message:
>
> "Failed to scan the SCSI-bus. Either no permission to access the generic
> scsi devices or no SCSI support enabled in the kernel. For ATAPI devices
> you have to install the SCSI-emulation first"
>
> But all I need is already compiled into the kernel!

I use kernel 2.4.18, and, if I am not mistaken, this was the configuration
I had:
IDE-support, IDE-cdrom and SCSI-emulation support compiled in. Then
SCSI compiled in and SCSI-cdrom as module.

> In the help of the "scsi emulation support" said the following:
>
> "If both this SCSI emulation and
> native ATAPI support are compiled into the kernel, the native support
> will be used."
>
> In fact, this is the case, I have compiled the ide-atapi cdrom support
> into the kernel too, in order to use the cdrom at hdc. Perhaps the
> option in lilo (append = "hdd=ide-scsi") doesn't overwrite the native
> ide-atapi support for the cdwriter at hdd? If this is the case, what
This is the case.

> should I do? perhaps not compile at all the native ide-atapi support for
> cdrom, and use the scsi emulation support to acces both devices, the
> cdrom and the cdwriter?

Greetz,
Sebastiaan