Re: OT: How to find a modem that works with Linux...

On Mon, 2002-06-17 at 21:04, Chris Kenrick wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 17, 2002 at 06:04:26PM -0500, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 17, 2002 at 05:58:36PM -0400, Ed Cogburn wrote:
[snip]
> This is true.  Consensus on this thread so far seems to suggest that the
> external USR modems are of good quality.  Unfortunately, these are not
> quite so common as other brands here in .au, and the ones I've seen are
> hellishly expensive and/or come with unneeded features such as a built
> in digital answering machine.  There is however a Mitsubishi external
> that's advertised as supporting Linux, anyone tried it? (The other
> brands advertised commonly are D-Link,Swann,Netcomm and the like)

I'd be gabberflaster if any external modem does _not_ support
Linux...  So, when in doubt, go external.  Even cheap external
modems would cause problems to both Linux & Windows equally.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net         |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81     |
| "Object-oriented programming is an exceptionally bad idea   |
|  which could only have originated in California."           |
|  --Edsger Dijkstra                                          |