Re: OT: How to find a modem that works with Linux...

On Mon, Jun 17, 2002 at 06:04:26PM -0500, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 17, 2002 at 05:58:36PM -0400, Ed Cogburn wrote:
>
> > Funny, I've heard this external-is-better for years, but I've been using
> > internals for more than a decade and never had problems with them.
>
> > An external is just one more box taking up space somewhere on my
> > crowded table.
>
> True.
>
> > As for lights, I don't have that problem, the lights are on the
> > command bar at the bottom, either in Windows or Linux/X/KDE.
>
> Where?  I haven't seen any lights in windows (back when I used it, and
> also had dial-up).  I haven't looked for lights linux.
>
> > Lights aren't that helpful anyway, they can't tell you whether the
> > delay is temporary or your ISP connection is hung permanently.
>
> The lights are helpful to show whether or not you have a dial-tone,
> etc.  In addition, if the modem has a digital display, it can give
> more informative information or error codes.
>
> > A good internal one is just as good, and a tad cheaper, than an
> > external one.
>
> The difficulty with internal modems is finding the "good" to go with
> it :-).  With external modems, you *know* immediately that it isn't a
> winmodem.
>
> Another point to consider, an internal modem takes up an extra ISA/PCI
> slot in your machine.  An external one only uses a serial port, which
> are not commonly used anymore anyways.  (well, I've mainly only seen modems,
> old mice, and old printers that used the serial port.  Most people
> don't have a Lucent phone switch in their house to get SMDR logging
> from, and an org. large enough to have their own can spare some extra
> serial ports :-))

I've potentially got three devices that could all use the serial port ..
palm sync, IR sensor for remote control and the modem.  That's another
problem I hadn't thought of...

> Either style modem is fine, as long as it works.

This is true.  Consensus on this thread so far seems to suggest that the
external USR modems are of good quality.  Unfortunately, these are not
quite so common as other brands here in .au, and the ones I've seen are
hellishly expensive and/or come with unneeded features such as a built
in digital answering machine.  There is however a Mitsubishi external
that's advertised as supporting Linux, anyone tried it? (The other
brands advertised commonly are D-Link,Swann,Netcomm and the like)

- Chris