OT: How to find a modem that works with Linux...

I'm just about to do a motherboard upgrade, and that will mean replacing
my current modem, which is unfortunately ISA based.

Anyone able to recommend options for a replacement?  I know that the
cheaper internal modems are very likely to be winmodems, and (possibly)
unsupported, but I'm not so sure about the others.  Note that even
though I've heard arguments that external modems are much better than
internal because you can see what's happening with the lights, I've
never really had trouble with the internal one as such, and not having
to find space for YAP (yet another peripheral) is a good thing.  If
external is better to guarantee that it works with Linux, then that's
fine too.

- Chris