Re: do the 8 woody CD's come with source code?

On Mon, Jun 17, 2002 at 11:32:07AM -0500, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 17, 2002 at 06:54:29PM +0800, Dan Jacobson wrote:
> | I just grabbed one (#7) and all I saw were .deb files.
>
> I'm not sure how the source is packed on a debian cd ... I never
> burned the source cds myself.  I know this, though :
>     RPM-based distros pack the source in a "srpm".
>     The debian packages site provides 3 files for each source :
>         1)  the original upstream tarball
>         2)  a patch of changes the DD made for debian
>         3)  the DD's signature on the files, so you know they're for real
>
> It is possible that the cds have 1,2,3 packed into a .deb.

They'll be .dsc plus either .diff.gz+.orig.tar.gz or .tar.gz. With the
exception of some special cases, source doesn't come in .deb files; and
even in those special cases there's always a corresponding source
package containing the Debian scripts that produce the .deb.

> | If source are not on the 8 CD's, how many more CD's would it take?
> |
> | It must be on there because don't the rules say the source comes
> | along?
>
> The GPL (if that's the rules you're referring to) says the source must
> be *available* if the recipient wants it.  It is certainly permissible
> for a customer to say "I don't want the source cds, don't give them to
> me".

CD vendors should always be able to distribute source code if asked, and
it's always available from the Debian archive.