apt-get source <package>

Hello,

I have a question.  I normally use

  apt-get install <package>

to install any package on my system.  Now I have seen how you can use

   apt-get source <package>

and then compile it own your own machine.  Now what I was wondering,
is there an advantage to doing this?  If so, what is it, and how much
of an advantage is it.  Also, is there a script of a program that will
run an update, see which packages I need updated, download them, build
them, and then install them?  If there isn't maybe I will start a
project that will accoomplish this.

Looking forward to your answers,

Erik

--
Erik Mathisen <erik@mathisen.us>
http://erik.mathisen.us

If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their
feet, what happen if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?
        --Steven Wright