knoppix; was Re: Linux and legacy-free motherboards

On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 01:02:18PM -0700, Jeff wrote:
</snip>I
> recently booted a brand spanking new Toshiba Satellite 5105-S607 that
> is "legacy free", which means the keyboard and mouse-pad are on the
> USB bus, using the Knoppix CD which is based on the 2.4.18 kernel and
> loads KDE.  It loaded fine, but got the modelines wrong so X was
> unusable.  But, the keyboard worked fine and I could see something
> moving around amoung the squiggly lines on the botched X session when
> I scratched the mouse-pad.  It found the keyboard fine and ran a nice
> framebuffer console in color at 1024x768 and I believe I saw the SCSI
> modules loaded for the CD-RW drive.

I have had great fun and success throwing the knoppix cd rom at various
hardware setups.

My question: Is there a useful mechanism / method to use the results of
knoppix' probing to install and configure a (permanaent) debian system
on the probed hardware?

aloha,
dave