Donations to Debian???

I have an idea that I would like to propose to the Debian Collective.

I have no care to purchase any of the Debian CD's as the network installation and burning my own ISO's covers everything that I could ever wish for.

But I feel that it is important that I make some contribution to the Debian group by making some kind of donation to the core Debian.org from time to time. Especially when I'm feeling really warm and fuzzy about Debians performance.

I would like to ask that debian.org consider setting up a PayPal account to accept donations.

Based on recent activities and postings, these donations could be divided up, by the submitter, into some categories - such as:

1) Base Debian -- payments are to go toward the cost of network and server (hardware & connectivity). Not mirrors, I think. This might be changed a lot...

2) Package developers -- payments could be forwarded directly to the package development team members. Example: KDE 2.2.2 development. I would suggest a fixed fee(s) on this with a not-to-exceed value from each person to keep it at the level of Appreciation, rather than Employment. Suggestion: Values of 1, 5, 10, 25.

3) Documentation developers -- Not the README's, but the website's core Debian content maintainers for the installation, care and feeding, and user manuals of Debian as it applies across the many platforms.

My intention here is not to make Debian a $$ based organization, but there are a lot of times that I have felt it would be kind of cool to pop $5 off to some package maintainer who did a really great job, or to Debian.org for just being there. I consider it reasonable for myself to make an annual $100 donation as long as my financial conditions allow -- but there isn't any easy place to do this. If I have to find addresses, fill out checks and mailing envelopes, I'm less likely to perform all of this.

Thoughts?

I'm really not sure that this isn't a serious violation to all that is good about Debian, GPL, GNU, or Linux so please don't flame me.