Re: Donations to Debian???

> But I feel that it is important that I make some contribution to the
> Debian group by making some kind of donation to the core Debian.org
> from time to time.  Especially when I'm feeling really warm and
> fuzzy about Debians performance.

as I commented in another thread the three most important contributions you can
make are:

submit bugs
send thanks
tell your friends

Money is nice, but it is lower priority than those 3.

> I would like to ask that debian.org consider setting up a PayPal
> account to accept donations.
>
> Based on recent activities and postings, these donations could be
> divided up, by the submitter, into some categories - such as:
>
> 1)  Base Debian -- payments are to go toward the cost of network and
> server (hardware & connectivity).  Not mirrors, I think.  This might
> be changed a lot...

mirrors are provided by our friends the Debian money only goes to Debian
hardware or other costs.

> 2)  Package developers -- payments could be forwarded directly to
> the package development team members.  Example:  KDE 2.2.2
> development.  I would suggest a fixed fee(s) on this with a
> not-to-exceed value from each person to keep it at the level of
> Appreciation, rather than Employment.  Suggestion: Values of 1, 5,
> 10, 25.

it would be nearly impossible for Debian to handle this.  Getting the money,
converting currency, tax issues, etc.  Remember we are about 40% US, 40% Europe
and 20% everywhere else.

> 3)  Documentation developers -- Not the README's, but the website's
> core Debian content maintainers for the installation, care and
> feeding, and user manuals of Debian as it applies across the many
> platforms.

same problem as 2.

> My intention here is not to make Debian a $$ based organization, but
> there are a lot of times that I have felt it would be kind of cool
> to pop $5 off to some package maintainer who did a really great job,
> or to Debian.org for just being there.  I consider it reasonable for
> myself to make an annual $100 donation as long as my financial
> conditions allow -- but there isn't any easy place to do this.
> If I have to find addresses, fill out checks and mailing envelopes,
> I'm less likely to perform all of this.
>
> Thoughts?

consider offering a devel whose work you like some beer or other physical item.

> I'm really not sure that this isn't a serious violation to all that
> is good about Debian, GPL, GNU, or Linux so please don't flame me.

just because we give it away does not mean we don't appreciate a thanks and
occasional cookie.