United Linux,the rest, and Debian ? (oh no not again!!!)

Hi,

Today i've read that here
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/25587.html that Dell and Oracle
are joining Red Hat for an Enterprise version of Linux. Since this is
only shortly after the 'United Linux' announcement i felt some sweat
breaking in various places.

Someone please tell me this is NOT going to happen the same way unix got
split up into AT&T and all it's other derivates being ultimately
incompatible. I sincerely hope one of the linux advocate's will step
forward and promise everything is gonna turn out fine. The Linux
Standard Base will not be condemned and i'll be happy to run
non-distribution specific software on any other distro.

In the past, for a very short time, i was installing different unix
systems and that was not very funny. Of course, a lot of employement
opportunity if you knew some varieties of unix but in the end a serious
drawback for working with unix wich in the end made that the
IBM/Microsoft platform very successfull together with the whole
lan/wan/intranet/internet confussion wich still has a lot of people
puzzled.

Also, will this 'United Linux' thing affect the Debian GNU/* system in
unimaginable ways ? After all there is no Debian-based distribution in
that list if i'm not mistaken. Though that will surely not signal the
end of Debian this might be a very important drawback for further
acceptance.

Regards,

J. Lambrecht