Re: Upgrade to Woody

On Thu, 6 Jun 2002 00:06:53 +0100
Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> wrote:

> The output of 'apt-get -o Debug::pkgProblemResolver=yes dist-upgrade'
> will tell you exactly what apt-get is thinking, although it can be
> rather cryptic if you've never seen it before.

Funny... doing a dist-upgrade doesn't remove my "home made packages"! When
doing a simple apt-get install apt it does! Using that option it reports:

Package xchat has broken dep on gdk-pixbuf
  Considering gdk-pixbuf 3 as a solution to xchat 0
    Reinst Failed because of libgtk1.2
  Removing xchat rather than change gdk-pixbuf

(There's more packages with this, I'm using this one as an example.)

Another thing:

Package libgimp1.1.17 has broken dep on libgtk1.2
  Considering libgtk1.2 28 as a solution to libgimp1.1.17 1
  Removing libgimp1.1.17 rather than change libgtk1.2

And because of this apt removes gimp also! Why!!?? Shouldn't it at least
have the decency to reinstall another version!? And in the dist-upgrade
the package isn't even mentioned!

Now I've noticed another thing. Beside x-chat, I have instaled gaim and
some other programs that in the Woody release are compiled against gnome.
So, doing a dist-upgrade I get all those packages upgraded as well as
gnome-* (where * denotes libs,bin,etc...). This PC is a bit old, so I
wouldn't like to have those packages instaled. Is it possible to (at
least) only install gnome-libs?

Thanks to all =)

--
Paladin