Re: Question with $? in bash, with chains of commands

On 5 Jun 2002, Paul Smith wrote:

> See the PIPESTATUS variable in the bash man page.
>
> Note that this is not a standard thing, so if you use it your script
> may not be portable to other Bourne-like shells.

Thank you ever so much

smbtar -s $username -x $share -p $password -t - | gzip -1 > $filename
if [ $PIPESTATUS -eq 0 ]; then
        # rotate meeeee;
fi;

works for me so far.  I'll have to test it by pulling the ethernet on a
machine while it is backing up, but it passes the
        a) machine doesn't exist/is off
        b) kill'd by whatever
tests just fine, which failed before.

Ermph. I just tested, and if the share disappears while it is backing up,
it returns a 0 exit code. Assuming that has the same behaviour as a
machine crashing because of a backup, I have a misbehaving smbtar,
that negates the point of this.

I looked at smbclient, it doesn't support a compression flag either.  I
think I'm fubar'd, as smbclient returns a 0 even if there was an error
such as what I'm simulating

Thanks anyways,
Mike