Re: Upgrade to Woody

On Wed, 2002-06-05 at 23:33, Paladin wrote:
> Just one problem: as soon as I do what you did I get a huge list of
> packages that will be upgrade as well lots that will be removed. In the
> last I are included some that I made myself (probably VERY bad! ;). I
> didn't want this to happen... Any ideas for this one? Another thing, I
> think the other day I did a apt-get dist-upgrade just to see what
> happened. So, when apt asked me if I wanted to proceed I said no. Maybe
> this list comes from that action??

If apt wants to remove packages, it is because of dependency problems.
Your self-built packages probably need to be rebuilt against updated
libraries.  Some packages get removed because they conflict with newer
ones and they should be removed.

I always use "apt-get -u", so that I can check what apt is going to do.
If you have a large number of packages that need upgrading, I would let
apt remove things.  I would then reinstall anything I needed that has
been removed.  This will sometimes show up dependency conflicts; if they
can't be resolved, some package must be sacrificed, or else built from
source.

     "Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with
      God through our Lord Jesus Christ."       Romans 5:1