Re: grub

In muc.lists.debian.user, you wrote:
> Ted wrote:
>> Hi..
>> I am trying to boot a SuSE partition on hdb1 using grub..I have the
>> following lines in menu.lst
>> title suse2
>> root    (hd1,0)
>> kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb1 ro hdc=scsi
>> On bootup the system starts to load and then I get a kernel panic
>> message and the system locks up...Could anyone please tell me what I am
>> doinmg wrong...

My guesses: either a bad kernel image or your kernel needs an

> No, sorry, just ideas...
> - Are the parameters "ro hdc=scsi" really needed? I'm am using grub on
> all systems without these.

It depends on the kernel image.  If it doesn't have the right
defaults for ro/root set in it, then these options may be
needed.  Don't know about SuSe, but most RH kernels need them
(last time I checked).

> - Is vmlinuz on a filesystem supported by grub, like ext2, reiserfs etc.?

If not, you'd get an error message from grub and the kernel
would never get loaded.

Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Yow! I'm imagining
                                  at               a surfer van filled with
                               visi.com            soy sauce!