Re: lost route (network unreachable)

Andy Saxena <andyML@nyc.rr.com> writes:

> On Wed, May 29, 2002 at 10:42:39AM -0500, DvB wrote:
> > On Fri, May 24, 2002 at 09:04:03AM -0500, DvB wrote:
> >
> > > The "H" flag indicates that the route is to a specific host. Obviously,
> > > 255.255.255.255 is not a valid host address.
>
> Interesting reply line. Stop the blatant plagiarism! :-}

Oops! I downloaded your message at home and then attempted to fake a
reply from work, where I'm having the problem, based on my original
message... sorry :-D

<snip>

> I just read your OP. I missed the "network is unreachable" part of it.
> Can you ping any machine? "Network is unreachable" is usually an
> indication that your machine is unable to establish contact with the
> "outside." IIRC it is the same as your machine being unplugged from the
> network.

That's the strange thing. I can reach our production server and the
devel and production servers of the other group I'm doing coding for,
but I can't reach our devel server or a handful of other hosts on the
(internal) network with the "network unreachable" error. I think our
devel server may have changed subnets recently, but none of the other
hosts did that I'm aware of and the admin claims there's nothing wrong
on his side. There're also other people who can reach the devel server
but I don't think I'm the only one who can't reach it.

I have not had any trouble reaching anything outside the firewall (I'm
also posting this from the problem machine).

> Try /sbin/ifconfig. The "inet addr" field should be revealing.

That looks fine. inet addr contains the static IP address I've had for
over a year :-( I have a feeling rebooting would probably fix my problem,
but I don't want to lose my 100+ days of uptime. I've tried restarting
/etc/init.d/networking but that doesn't appear to help at all. Is there
maybe something else I can restart?