Re: attach3...aprox 189kB

On 2002.05.30 03:59 ben wrote:
On Thursday 30 May 2002 12:21 am, Arthur Dent wrote:
> Hi
> I just began posting on this list and thankfully received a lot of
replies.
> A few of them included an atachment and most of the attachments from
> different people were called attach3. When I went to have a quick
look at
> one of them it said it was of file type pgp...is this some sort of
privacy
> thing??? What does it do, I dont wish to install anything untill I
know.
> When I had windows going I would run it through a virus scanner and
all
> incoming would go through zonealarm fire wall so things were pretty
> tight(As far as I knew). Right now running this linux machine with
no virus
> scan and no firewall makes me feel soooooo vulnerable.....

the attachments are pgp signature keys. they certainly won't hurt you
in any
way. pgp allows for encryption of your mail while it's traversing the
distance between addresser and addressee. i don't use it myself,
although,
now that the gumment suspects everybody of everything and has taken to
poking
its nose into everyone's business, it's starting to seem like a good
idea.

And with recent changes to the US FBI, those decisions (where to poke their nose) will be made at the field office level...

Ian