Re: lost route (network unreachable)

On Wed, May 29, 2002 at 10:42:39AM -0500, DvB wrote:
> On Fri, May 24, 2002 at 09:04:03AM -0500, DvB wrote:
>
> > The "H" flag indicates that the route is to a specific host. Obviously,
> > 255.255.255.255 is not a valid host address.

Interesting reply line. Stop the blatant plagiarism! :-}

> The field with the 255.255.255.255 is labeled as "Genmask," whatever
> that is. Interestingly, the field with "-" is labeled as "Gateway." I
> wonder if that has something to do with it.
>
> The full header is:
> Destination,Gateway,Genmask,Flags,MSS Window,irtt Iface
>

> > It'd be interesting to see what "netstat -nr" outputs; the -n option
> > reveals IPs as numeric.
> >
> > Other than that, consider what might have changed in the days since the
> > problem has been manifesting, specifically where there any DNS and
> > other
> > networking related changes?
>

> netstat -nr outputs
>
> xxx.xx.xxx.xx   -               255.255.255.255 !H        - -        --
>
> where the the x's are the correct IP address for the host I'm trying to
> reach (it is still the correct address, since other machines that can
> connect to it report that as its address).

I just read your OP. I missed the "network is unreachable" part of it.
Can you ping any machine? "Network is unreachable" is usually an
indication that your machine is unable to establish contact with the
"outside." IIRC it is the same as your machine being unplugged from the
network.

Try /sbin/ifconfig. The "inet addr" field should be revealing.

-Andy