Re: High density text on console

On Mon, May 27, 2002 at 03:30:10PM -0400, Mike Dresser wrote:

| Just wondering if anyone knows of a video card that supports very high
| density text in console.
|
| The card I'm using(Trident 9880) does 132x60, but I'm looking for
| something smaller, as this still feels large even on a 14" monitor.
|
| Anyone know of video cards that have these funky VESA modes that go that
| high?

My SiS 6326 (a cheap AGP card) supports 1280x1024@24.  I'm using the
vesa framebuffer (requires recompiling the kernel even though the docs
say otherwise, IME).  I use 0x31B as the vga= parameter to my kernel.
I can certainly fit a lot of text on the screen.  Far more than 60
lines vertically, and I don't know how many wide.

| Is there even a VESA mode that high? :D
|
| I looked through SVGA.txt, but it doesn't seem to help me much

VESA and VGA are different.  VGA is text-based, VESA is
graphics-based.  Look at fb/vesafb.txt.gz instead.  You can also try
the tridentfb driver, but I think it is brand new and not stable yet.

-D

--

If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his
cross and follow me.  For whoever wants to save his life will lose it,