Re: Configuring mod_perl on Debian

My guess is that some error message is terminating your headers before the
content-type is sent.  stdout and stderr get buffered independently so the
stderr can come out of your script first, even if it's generated later in
your code.

* Set $|=1; as the first thing you do in your test script, immediately
followed by your content-type header.  This turns of buffering of your IO
streams.

* look at what's in your error logs, though this might not be much until
you set $|.

* Don't use your browser to test what's going on. go lower level.  If
you're not comfortable doing this with telnet, use `lynx -mime_header` or
`Get -Se`, although be aware that both of these can mung the output a
little, as does apache.

I've gotten debian's mod_perl running on multiple machines under both
potato and woody.

You miss most of the advantage of debian's package management if you start
building core components independently.  Debian looks after you pretty
well, but it's a bit of an all or nothing affair.  ie it's worth a little
effort to stick with the debian packages if you can.

Andrew