Re: High density text on console

On Mon, May 27, 2002 at 03:11:52PM -0500, dman wrote:
> On Mon, May 27, 2002 at 03:30:10PM -0400, Mike Dresser wrote:
>
> | Just wondering if anyone knows of a video card that supports very high
> | density text in console.
> |
> | The card I'm using(Trident 9880) does 132x60, but I'm looking for
> | something smaller, as this still feels large even on a 14" monitor.
> |
> | Anyone know of video cards that have these funky VESA modes that go that
> | high?
>
> My SiS 6326 (a cheap AGP card) supports 1280x1024@24.  I'm using the
> vesa framebuffer (requires recompiling the kernel even though the docs
> say otherwise, IME).  I use 0x31B as the vga= parameter to my kernel.
> I can certainly fit a lot of text on the screen.  Far more than 60
> lines vertically, and I don't know how many wide.

~>stty size

> | Is there even a VESA mode that high? :D
> |
> | I looked through SVGA.txt, but it doesn't seem to help me much
>
> VESA and VGA are different.  VGA is text-based, VESA is
> graphics-based.  Look at fb/vesafb.txt.gz instead.  You can also try
> the tridentfb driver, but I think it is brand new and not stable yet.

I use framebuffers on the console at 1864x1400 in 60 Hz, and (more
often) 1600x1200 at 60 Hz. I prefer to waste real screen estate on a
nice font though (Sun12x22).

PS. After a kernel upgrade (don't remember to what kernel) my
customized boot argument to the fb driver (See the fb/framebuffer.txt
for making custom mode lines) didn't work any more (just a blank
screen), so now I have a boot script to get 1864x1400.

--
Note that I use Debian version 3.0
Linux emac140 2.4.17 #1 sön feb 10 20:21:22 CET 2002 i686 unknown

Hans Ekbrand