Re: bad dist-upgrade - starting over

On Sun, May 26, 2002 at 06:49:31PM -0400, Jerome Acks Jr wrote:
> On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 06:52:36PM +0200, Eric Smith wrote:
> > Unfortunately on the way from potato to sid, my upgrade froze on
> > one of the main lib6 packages.  Now I have a really disturbed
> > package database.
> >
> > I don't care if I have to start from scratch by removing all
> > packages.  What's the best and surest way to get a working
> > installation going - any distribution.

I had the same problem upgrading from potato to woody. The simple fix
was to download the woody libc6 package separately, and install it by
dpkg --install.

libc6 doesn't depend on anything, so this is quite safe.

You should be able to do the same if you are upgrading from potato to
sid. Though, you might want to upgrade from potato to woody first,
and then to sid. This way, if you face a problem in the potato ->
woody stage, you can fix it more easily, as the packages are more stable
than in sid.

-Andy