Re: OT: debian-beer (was Re: wrapping [was: Re: disable paragraph flows in mozilla?])

* Craig Dickson (crdic@pacbell.net) wrote:

> > > No no no no.  This guys having you on.  Ale and bitter are a practic
> > > joke we play on tourists :) kind of an alcoholic pi55.  Stick to the
> > > Guinness or Canadian beer or anything but, repeat anything but our
> > > beer. Only our wine is worse.
> > >
> > > Harvey
> >
> > A joke ???  Too sad I missed it... can you explain ?
>
> Harvey is the guy who's joking. For one thing, Guinness (and all stouts)
> is in fact an ale, so to say you should drink Guinness and not ale is
> absurd. Second, England makes a number of superb beers, including those
> from Fuller's and Samuel Smith (I have yet to have a drink from either
> of those breweries that is less than excellent -- in particular, I
> recommend Fuller's London Porter and Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale).

Lovely stuff, both of them.

> Meanwhile, most Canadian beer is nearly as bad as American
> macro-breweries; the only really good Canadian brewery I know of is
> Unibroue, which is in Quebec and therefore only nominally Canadian.

Offerings from the large commercial breweries vary (with the exception
of Keith's and Moosehead -- I'm not familiar with Unibroue) from
barely acceptable to plain awful -- one produces Budweiser under
license, which strikes me as really bizarre.  My experience with beers
on both sides of the border is that on average the Canadian beers are
better, but that is not saying much.

> The USA, btw, has many excellent breweries, but the really well-known
> ones are awful (Coors, Anheuser-Busch, Miller). Some of the best-known
> microbreweries aren't bad (Anchor, Sierra Nevada), but the best of all
> are generally not at all well-known. In that category, I would like to
> mention Stone Brewing (makers of Arrogant Bastard Ale) and Rogue Ales,
> both of which are consistently superb.

I agree about Anchor, and there are some other good small-brewery or
microbrewery beers out there.  I don't, unfortunately, have any
experience with Stone Brewing.  In Canada, if you want a good local
beer, it's microbreweries all the way.  Guinness in a can is not quite
the real thing, by the way -- it needs to be pumped from a keg.

Cheers

--
Cam Ellison Ph.D. R.Psych.
From Roberts Creek on B.C.'s incomparable Sunshine Coast