Re: OT: debian-beer (was Re: wrapping [was: Re: disable paragraph flows in mozilla?])

Daniel Toffetti wrote:

> > > If they are close to the Irish Guinness, I'll follow you :)
> >
> > No no no no.  This guys having you on.  Ale and bitter are a practic
> > joke we play on tourists :) kind of an alcoholic pi55.  Stick to the
> > Guinness or Canadian beer or anything but, repeat anything but our
> > beer. Only our wine is worse.
> >
> > Harvey
>
> A joke ???  Too sad I missed it... can you explain ?

Harvey is the guy who's joking. For one thing, Guinness (and all stouts)
is in fact an ale, so to say you should drink Guinness and not ale is
absurd. Second, England makes a number of superb beers, including those
from Fuller's and Samuel Smith (I have yet to have a drink from either
of those breweries that is less than excellent -- in particular, I
recommend Fuller's London Porter and Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale).

Meanwhile, most Canadian beer is nearly as bad as American
macro-breweries; the only really good Canadian brewery I know of is
Unibroue, which is in Quebec and therefore only nominally Canadian.

The USA, btw, has many excellent breweries, but the really well-known
ones are awful (Coors, Anheuser-Busch, Miller). Some of the best-known
microbreweries aren't bad (Anchor, Sierra Nevada), but the best of all
are generally not at all well-known. In that category, I would like to
mention Stone Brewing (makers of Arrogant Bastard Ale) and Rogue Ales,
both of which are consistently superb.

In case anyone is curious, my reviews of beers are available at my web
site, http://crdic.ath.cx . They are also posted (along with those of
thousands of other people) at the most excellent RateBeer site,
http://www.ratebeer.com , which I recommend to anyone with an interest
in good beer.

Craig