Re: exim configuration

On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 06:42:08AM -0400, Tom Allison wrote:
| dman wrote:
| >| |

| >| hmmm...  Good point.
| >| I wonder then, how I'm supposed to create an MX / A record in dyndns.org.
| >| They provide a form for it, and if I do
| >| dig @ns1.mydyndns.org -MX tacocat.net
| >| it comes up OK as janus.tacocat.net
| >| but you say it doesn't.  I wonder what the problem is.
| >
| >Timing maybe?  Now I see the MX :
| >
| >$ host -t mx tacocat.net
| >tacocat.net mail is handled by 10 janus.tacocat.net.
| >
| >Are you still getting that error now?
|
| I finally got it fixed, it was a DNS fault of mine.
| What I'm trying to figure out is getting this server to act as a relay
| for sending my ISP email and as a destination for tacocat.net.

Let's see if I understand the situation :

    1)  this machine is the incoming server for the 'tacocat.net'
        domain.  it is a "real" server on the internet (as opposed to
        an end-user terminal on a dial-up or something like that)

    2)  you also have an account with an ISP

        3)  you want mail sent to your account at the ISP to arrive on
            your server and get delivered locally

        4) you want to use your ISP's server for outgoing mail?

I think you have #1 set up properly.  For #3 you have 2 choices : use
a client program (fetchmail) to get the mail from the ISP and redirect
it to your local account OR setup your ISP account to forward mail to
your tacocat.net account.

For #4 (at the same time as #1) you need to edit the config file
yourself.  It's really easy, once you understand 1) how SMTP works and
2) how exim is designed.

Is #4 correct?  If so I'll give you the config for that since it's
quite simple.

| I've tried reading the exim documentation for the configuration, but
| it's written assuming you are already familiar with everything to do
| with exim and exim.conf and just need a reference.  Very difficult
| to find a simple answer.

It's written with the assumption that you know how SMTP works.  It
doesn't include a copy of RFC 2821 in its own docs :-).

The other key to reading the exim spec is to have a sample config file
to follow at the same time.  The upstream exim release has such a
file, and the debian 'eximconfig' program can generate them too.

HTH,
-D

--

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you
rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and