Re: exim configuration

dman wrote:

On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 06:03:16AM -0400, Tom Allison wrote:
| | $ host -t mx tacocat.net
| | RoadRunner's smtp servers are rejecting any mails whose return address
| | has a domain that can't be contacted.  If their server did accept the
| | mail, and then had to bounce it for some reason (eg the recipient is
| | over their quota), they would be stuck with an undeliverable bounce
| | message.

| hmmm...  Good point.
| I wonder then, how I'm supposed to create an MX / A record in dyndns.org.
| They provide a form for it, and if I do
| dig @ns1.mydyndns.org -MX tacocat.net
| it comes up OK as janus.tacocat.net
| but you say it doesn't.  I wonder what the problem is.

Timing maybe?  Now I see the MX :

$ host -t mx tacocat.net
tacocat.net mail is handled by 10 janus.tacocat.net.

Are you still getting that error now?

HTH,
-D

I finally got it fixed, it was a DNS fault of mine.
What I'm trying to figure out is getting this server to act as a relay for sending my ISP email and as a destination for tacocat.net. I can use fetchmail to grab my ISP email. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a very clear nomenclature of how I would configure this under exim. I've tried reading the exim documentation for the configuration, but it's written assuming you are already familiar with everything to do with exim and exim.conf and just need a reference. Very difficult to find a simple answer.

Originally I was trying qmail, but I never got it running. Don't remember why, might have just forgotten where I was in the process. And I figured I would look at exim since it's already in there. But the configuration process, beyond the script, seems to be a little hard to understand. Maybe all I need is a fresh pot of coffee and a little more RTM.