Re: Small footprint window manager

on Thu, May 16, 2002, Matt Garman (garman@raw-sewage.net) wrote:
> On Mon, May 13, 2002 at 01:58:14PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > > when all I use X for is to hold a dozen xterms, and then use them to
> > > hold non-X programs (ftp in one, mutt in another, links, vim, and a few
> > > other programs).
> >
> > Why not just use more than the standard 6 virtual consoles?  That
> > would be _much_ more memory efficient than X 4.1.0.
>
> Somebody may have already mentioned this, but if you need a lot of
> terminals, there's nothing like the "screen" program.  It essentially
> allows you have to have many (concurrently running) terminals in one
> actual xterm/console/VT (i.e. it doesn't need X).

Screen rocks.  Frankly it's the best solution to this particular problem
(multiple apps on a 386/16 MiB system).

> It's simple to use: you type "screen" and hit return.  Then you're
> console looks otherwise normal.  Except now you can type "C-a c" and
> be presented with a new console window that is "layered" (opaquely) on
> top of your old one.  Now you you can go back to the original with
> "C-a p".  I don't know how many total screens you can have, but it's
> more than I've ever needed :)

I think it's on the order of 30-40.  I tried and succeeded, once,
intentionally, to run out of screens.

> Help is always available with "C-a ?".
>
> Did anyone ever use DESQview for DOS?  It's very similar to that.

Quite.

Another option is "twin", the textmode window environment.  Though this
is of little practical use unless you can get a high-resolution text
mode screen.  60x132 columns would be a minimum IMO.  Packaged for
Debian.

Emacs was also a "windowing" system of choice in years prior to
widespread use of X11.  Emacs buffers are effectively shells and
programs.

Peace.

   There is no K5 Cabal:  http://www.kuro5hin.org/