Re: Small footprint window manager

On Sun, 2002-05-12 at 19:42, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:

> > Isn't this all rather academic, since Miroslav has a _386_ with
> > only SIXTEEN MB RAM?  Running X would be folly!!  Not only is the
> > CPU old and slow, but so is the RAM, HDD, video card, etc.  And
> > the HDD will tiny!!!
> >

> sufficient X to have multiple term windows open at once.  He won't be running
> KDE or what not, but that is not a requirement.  Web browsing, simple file
> editing, etc can be done there.  My first Debian machine was a 486 dx2 66 with
> 16 megs of ram and a 800mb (top of the line for the time) hard drive.

Your CPU was _much_ faster, you had 2x as much RAM, and I bet your
HDD was faster than Miroslavs.  And, as I question in another post,
you were probably running the 2.0 (or lower?) kernel, and libc5,
both of which are much smaller than kernel 2.2 with libc6 2.2.x.
Don't forget the really old versions of XFree86 and gcc.

In other words, RedHat 5.2 or what ever Debian was out then.  He'd
have to find binaries from back then, since newer s/w assumes libc6

What would you _do_ with it, nowadays?

The 2.2 kernel and apps like elvis and links or lynx in virtual
terminals would be great (well, adequate) though.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net        |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81    |
| "I have created a government of whirled peas..."           |
|   Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, 12-May-2002, CNN, Larry King Live |