Re: good choice of network card?

On Tue, 2002-05-14 at 19:13, Alex Hunsley wrote:
> Scott Henson wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 2002-05-14 at 15:13, Alex Hunsley wrote:
> > <snip>
> > > Thanks for this useful info!
> > > How did you set the IRQ for the card? The 3c90xcfg.exe (dos config util)
> >
> > His mobo had the different pci slots hard coded to IRQs so I just moved
> > the sound card.
> >
> > > doesn't let me change the IRQ, just see what it is currently...
> > > it was on IRQ10, so I set the bios to claim IRQ10 as ISA not PCI. Now the card
> > > has been put on IRQ12, and it's not crashed yet!
> > >
> > > General question: under debian, can I find out what IRQs are assigned to what
> > > devices?
> >
> > cat /proc/interrupts

>  12:    3007250          XT-PIC  eth0, PS/2 Mouse

> should I worry about eth0 sharing an IRQ with the mouse? Currently I'm using
> console mode solely, but might install x....
Well as I said before, my card is currently sharing an irq.  The card
that I told you about aparently has some defect that prevents it from
sharing an irq.  If your card has the same defect then it could be a
problem, but 3com makes good cards and what made that one go bad was the
fact that my friend got it used and his system had a problem with over
heating.  If its working properly I wouldnt touch it.  But if you start
using your mouse and stuff starts going wrong again move the card to
another irg.  It looks like you have several spare.  So I wouldnt worry
about it.
--
-Peace kid
  Scott Henson	shenson2@wvu.edu

"God's the ultimate playa, so naturally He's going to have some haters,"
rapper Ice Cube said. "But these haters need to realize that  if you
mess with the man upstairs, you will get your ass smote. True dat."