Re: good choice of network card?

Tom Cook wrote:

> On  0, Alex Hunsley <lard@tardis.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
> > I'm going to buy a new network card for my machine (running Debian potato
> > 2.2r6).
> >
> > Are there any net cards with a good reputation for stability and ease of
> > install (i.e. not having to compile my own driver would be a plus)?
>
> My 3com 3c905C-TX works great, but cost AU$190.

I envy you! After hours of experimentation, I'm ready to give up on getting my
3c905cx-txm to work. I've done the DOS config util tests - says nothing wrong -
and tried setting it to auto mode, half duplex, full duplex, but still, after 5
mins of heavy network traffic my box just freezes every time and I have to
power down - at the rate I'm having to "fsck /" (and the amount of error being
fixed), I won't have a box left after long!
(Anyone got any idea of how to continue testing this situation without giving
my hard disk a heart attack?)

Btw Tom, which driver are you using for that 3c905C-TX?

alex