Re: Running openoffice as regular user?

On Tue, May 14, 2002 at 03:26:48AM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-05-14 at 03:12, Chris Halls wrote:
> > This is a very large package with many twists and turns to it.  We can't get
> > it all running in one go - the .debs are up there to save people having to
> > do the upstream install themselves, but the .deb does not yet fix many of
> > the problems caused by upstream.
>
> Are all/most of the difficulties caused by the fact that the
> pre-compiled binaries straight from www.openoffice.org expect
> to install under ~ ?

No, just some :)

These problems come to mind immediately:

  - Own directory structure when doing a systemwide install
  - Various shared library versioning problems (e.g. libodbc)
  - Expects to be running on SuSE: it tries to put KDE stuff in ~/.kde2
  - Font cache problems and other font issues
  - Hardcoded variables and paths in various places
  - Non-free parts such as libgpc, java, GIF creation
  - Doesn't always work under Debian Gnome
  - Hangs complete machine on S3 Savage with Xfree 4.1 by default
  - No systemwide menus/mailcap (John M Cooper has been working on this for
    us)
  - Can't add/remove compenents from a systemwide install just by
    adding/removing files
  - Own localisation system with quirks

There are probably more...

Chris