Re: Running openoffice as regular user?

On Sat, May 11, 2002 at 07:51:50PM -0500, DvB wrote:
> Well, first off, I don't think I should have to copy 2megs of data into
> my home directory... a few K of config files? Sure. Two megs of who
> knows what, however, makes me very skeptical.

That's an upstream problem, not the fault of the packagers.

> Besides, and most important, this does *not work*! At least not after
> installing the .deb package.
[...]
> Any other Debian package, however, tends to actually work after I
> install it as root... i

Now you know why it's not hit the official Debian archive yet, then :)

This is a very large package with many twists and turns to it.  We can't get
it all running in one go - the .debs are up there to save people having to
do the upstream install themselves, but the .deb does not yet fix many of
the problems caused by upstream.

Once this hits unstable, it _will_ work better.  Until then, I suggest you
use upstream's install program or send some constructive comments to the
debian-openoffice mailing list - I have no idea what problems you had since
you did not list them here.

There are several known problems and workarounds listed in README and TODO
in the doc directory - you may like to have a look there.

Chris
--
Chris Halls | Frankfurt, Germany