Re: Running openoffice as regular user?

At 2002-05-11T02:59:10Z, DvB <dvanbalen@jam.rr.com> writes:

>> IMO, OpenOffice is BAD (Broken as Designed) for multi-user operating
>> systems.

> There's definitely *something* that still needs to be worked on.

I'm not sure why people are saying this.  In the last 24 hours, I've
installed OOo (yes, that's the new abbreviation for Open Office) on a
Windows 2000 Pro machine and a Debian workstation.  I used the -net option
on Windows (as Administrator), and Debian seems to install OOo with -net by
default.  Then, it's a simple matter of running the setup program as an end
user, letting it copy a couple of megs of data to that user's home
directory, and using Open Office in all its happiness.

I really don't know how much better they could get it.  Root installs the
bulk of the system, and users have a tiny local config of their own.  What's
left to be worked on?

> _Can_ I install openoffice as an unpriviledged user (the deb, that
> is). Last I tried, regular users couldn't install packages via apt-get.

No more easily than any other Debian package.
--
Kirk Strauser