Re: Running openoffice as regular user?

On 2002.05.10 17:34 Jamin W. Collins wrote:
On Fri, 10 May 2002 16:03:27 -0500
"DvB" <dvanbalen@jam.rr.com> wrote:

> I've installed openoffice from the unofficial source and, now, if I
run
> it as root, it works but if I run it as a regular user, its attempt
> install inself into that user's home directory (which, IMO, is
stupid
> since root appears to run it from /usr) fails while trying to copy
> files. Has anyone figured out how to fix this?

If by "official source" you mean the binaries or files directly from
OpenOffice.org, you need to do a net install or have each user do a
full
install.  For more information check out:

IMO, OpenOffice is BAD (Broken as Designed) for multi-user operating systems. It is designed from the ground up to emulate MS Office. It assumes 1) that it is going to be running on a workstation, 2) that there is only one user on that workstation, and 3) that the user who installed it is the same user who is going to use it. This is not UNIX-specific, as far as I know. You would probably run into the same issue if you intalled it on Win2k as Administrator then tried to run it as an unpriveledged user.

I would recommend either installing KOffice, AbiWord/Gnumeric, or some other office suite that plays well in a multi-user environment, or installing OpenOffice as an unpriveledged user and install it in your home directory. I have had to do the latter, as I need access to more advanced features than AbiWord currently supports (most notably, support for tables in word documents) and it seems to work Okay for the most part.

Version 1.0 even adds a set of .desktop entries to your 'Favorites' menu under Gnome (I assume it does something similiar under KDE).

HTH,
Ian