Re: potential new Debian user

On Tue, 2002-05-14 at 00:46, dman wrote:
> On Mon, May 13, 2002 at 04:56:36PM -0500, Darren wrote:
> | I'm looking for comments/suggestions regarding Debian on the desktop.
>
> | Since, I will be using it almost exclusively as a desktop, I'm most
> | concerned about access to current builds of my favorite packages like KDE3,
> | OpenOffice 1.0 & Mozilla 1.0RC2.  Of course, OO and Mozilla have pretty good
> | installers that come with them.  I'm happy with those and could use their
> | install programs.  So, I guess I'm mostly concerned about KDE3.
>
> Once you have your system installed you can check the available
> versions of a package using the 'apt-cache' command.  Eg :
>
> $ apt-cache show mozilla-browser
> mozilla-browser:
>   Installed: 2:0.9.9-6
>   Candidate: 2:0.9.9-6
>   Version Table:
>      2:1+rc2-1 0
>          95 http://http.us.debian.org sid/main Packages
>  *** 2:0.9.9-6 0
>         990 http://http.us.debian.org testing/main Packages
>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

Hmmm.  That's not what happens when I type
$ apt-cache show mozilla-browser

I get something that looks like an excerpt from a /var/lib/apt/lists
binary Packages file.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net        |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81    |
| "I have created a government of whirled peas..."           |
|   Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, 12-May-2002, CNN, Larry King Live |