Re: Red Hat user shopping around

On Wed, 8 May 2002 19:09:13 -0500
"Glen Lee Edwards" <Glen@fcwm.org> wrote:

> The Debian web site says that Debian will install on 12 Meg RAM.  Is
> that information current?

I just finished installing 6 systems (2 P100s and 4 P166s) here.  Most had
32 megs of memory, however two did have 16 megs of memory.  On these two
systems I was able to do an install of Woody, it was however very slow due
to the swapping.  Swap usage was at about 12-14 megs most of the time.

> What are the main differences between Debian and Red Hat (I'm assuming
> there are a few current or ex-Red Hat users here)?

The main thing that struck me on the move are that some of the
configuration files are "automagically" updated (modules.conf for example)
and if you make changes to them directly you can end up losing those
changes.

--
Jamin W. Collins