Red Hat user shopping around

Hi,

I've been a loyal Red Hat user for the last 4 or 5 years.  Their recent
distributions will no longer install on all my computers because they now
require more than 16 Meg RAM.  I have a few questions:

The Debian web site says that Debian will install on 12 Meg RAM.  Is that
information current?

What are the main differences between Debian and Red Hat (I'm assuming there are
a few current or ex-Red Hat users here)?

Does Debian support the old Sound Blaster Pro CDRoms (sbpcd module)?

How well does FVWM run on Debian systems?  I currently build FVWM rpms for Red
Hat.

I need to run servers on two 16 Meg RAM boxes - DNS and mail mainly.  X would be
nice, but I usually use X forwarding on those boxes to another one that can
handle the load (500 MHZ, 512 Meg RAM).

Any thoughts or suggestions you have will be appreciated.  I need to run a Linux
distribution that will work as both a server and a desk top environment.  And I
need one that will remain loyal to its customer base, including those with low
resource PCs.

Regards,

Glen