Re: Disabling startx in gdm

On 2002.05.09 11:16 Karl E. Jorgensen wrote:
On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 08:07:55PM +0000, Pollywog wrote:

> update-rc.d -f gdm remove

The above will work as intended - until you upgrade gdm. Then the
symlinks will re-appear. man update-rc.d(8).

However, if you leave a single symlink in place (e.g. one of the K*gdm
ones), then an upgrade will not reinstate the symlinks.

I did not know that. That is a helpful thing to know, since when I have removed the symlinks with update-rc.d, I have always been carful to repeat the procedure after every upgrade of the package involved.

thanks

--
Andrew