Re: safe load average

On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 03:33:47PM -0400, Seneca wrote:
| On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 09:11:50PM -0500, dman wrote:

| > What services is that system running?  It sounds like you're trying to
| > push the machine way too far.  How powerful is it (CPU, RAM)?
|
| This system is my most powerful one. It's a P100 with 16M RAM and 100M
| swap.

P100 is ok, the 16MB RAM is your problem.  Rather recently I compiled
a lot of stuff on a P90 w/ 96MB RAM.  It wasn't fast, but it ran ok
because it had plenty of memory.  I also have a 486SX/25 with 8MB RAM.
The CPU is never loaded because it's mostly idle while the box
thrashes about.  Memory (apart from disk for I/O intensive
applications) is the primary constraint on systems.  CPU clock speed
is only secondary.

| (but I have my eye on a P133 with 96M RAM that is laying unused in
| the basement... and the other two unused systems that mom won't let me
| have (for some reason she considers my current 3 systems to be too
| many))

Maybe you can convince her to let you swap systems as opposed to
collecting more.  Maybe you can come up with a rewards system that
gives you more memory (or just another machine) in return for good
grades in your CS. course?

| Currently I am running X, cardmgr (this is a laptop after all), getmail,
| exim, netscape (I would prefer not to, but I need javascript and java
| support to connect to the proxy, and mozilla is massive), dictd, cron,
| and lpd. The stuff that I am using is mutt, vim, lynx, garlic, xcircuit,
| gnuplot, and sometimes playmidi.

Suggestions :
    o   kill dictd.  It's a memory hog and you probably don't need it that
        much.

    o   run exim and lpd out of xinetd, not as daemons
        I don't think this machine is supposed to be a primary server
        (and if you have other machines then offload the load to
        them).

    o   see if dropping the music playing helps.  it probably runs
        lots of data through memory and might take some CPU too.  Try
        and move that duty to another system.

| (not counting countless compiles of homework for computer science, a
| class where the teacher gives bonus marks for "features" such as
| confirmation messages, and GUI messes)

Compilation requires resources.  When you combine that with limited
amounts of memory and the other services you have resident you're
causing trouble (as you've noticed :-)).

What are the specs and loads on the other machines you have running?
If you can distribute the load amongst them that would help your
laptop out.  Also try not to do everything at once.  Do one (resource
hungry) thing at a time.

HTH,
-D

--