Re: Tool to find out info about machine ?

On Tue Apr 30, 2002 at 03:57:23PM -0400, Shawn McMahon wrote:
> begin  craigw quotation:
> >
> > Anyway, every single day I get dozens of requests for things like
> > /MSADC/root.exe, winnt/system32/cmd.exe, etc, etc; all windows stuff &
> > therefore all failed requests. The typical thing is each IP will look
> > for about 15 things and then give up. Here's a typical example:
> > modemcable244.105-203-24.mtl.mc.videotron.ca - - [20/Apr/2002:13:31:48
> > -0700] "GET /scripts/root.exe?/c+dir HTTP/1.0" 404 210
> >
> > It doesn't really bother me, but I am curious what sort of reactions can
> > or should be made, or what if anything should be done about them.
>
> Those are Windows viruses, such as Nimda and CodeRed, attempting to
> attack your machine.

Oh right, that's gotta be it, that would explain why they're all almost
identical. I should of thought of that, but I guess I never even think
about "viruses". LOL :-)

> Retaliation against the offending sites is tempting, but both futile and
> illegal.
>
> Letting the person know he's infected is probably futile, but sometimes
> helpful.

yeah, I suppose you're right - after all, their only crime is going
online using M$ products and doing their email with Outhouse...

--
-CraigW