Re: poweroff wont poweroff

On Tue Apr 30, 2002 at 01:24:21PM -0700, Bob Nielsen wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 02:04:37PM -0500, Jamin W. Collins wrote:
> > On Tue, 30 Apr 2002 09:49:18 -0700
> > "craigw" <craigw@lvcm.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I have the same problem on a Compaq. This box has RedHat 7.2, Mandrake
> > > 8.2, Debian (mostly)Potato with a hand rolled 2.4.18, Corel 1.2 with a
> > > hand rolled 2.2.18, and Windoze 98. They all have apm support but
> > > Windoze is the only one that can power down.
> > >
> > > I blame it on Compaq's extremely crappy BIOS.
> > >
> > > Here is a message I see during boot:
> > > apm: BIOS not found
> >
> > Is it possible the that Compaq require ACPI support for the power off?
> > IIRC, Win98 provides ACPI support to a limited degree (I could be wrong
> > here).

you could be right. I might look into that. Apparently that wasn't
available with the 2.2.x kernel? That's what I'm on. But I went over to
my Mandrake partition to grep the config for the 2.4 kernel, and it says
config-2.4.18-6mdk:# CONFIG_ACPI is not set
So maybe I'll boot into bloated Mandrake one of these days, build it a
new kernel, and see what happens. Any tips on using both APM & ACPI or
choosing one, or one built in & the other a module, etc?
Thanks.

> With Compaq, anything is possible!  Compatibility has never been their
> strong suit.

Yeah that's for sure. This BIOS is the most limited thing I've ever
seen. There's not even any way to turn off plug-n-play. And I think
when you boot into Windoze it runs some Compaq program to check for new
hardware, sort of like their version of Kudzu or whatever. I've also
noticed some Compaq program that looks like it checks for updates behind
your back, which I think I succeeded at disabling, but I don't boot into
Windoze often enough to really know.

> --

-CraigW