Re: Tool to find out info about machine ?

On Tue Apr 30, 2002 at 10:22:56AM +0930, Tom Cook wrote:
> On  0, Shawn McMahon <smcmahon@eiv.com> wrote:
> > begin  Kapil Khosla quotation:
> > > I am interested in knowing the hostname, possibly location (server),of a remote machine whose IP address is known to me,
>
> What I have been dying to ask is, why do you want to find all this out
> anyway?  Planning a bombing attack on someone who's annoyed you?

(I'm not the original poster, or the person who suggested nmap)
(one of my contributions to this thread is this one:)

> when I run nmap on any target outside of my little home network, even
> with the default options, my internet connection is usually disrupted
> rather quickly. The cable modem then needs to be reset.
>
> I don't know if it's messing up the modem or, what I assume, is that cox
> cable is reacting to something they don't like that nmap is doing.

So as for the question of why?

Well, I don't know much about networking, I don't intend on being a
cracker or a script kiddie, but I always like to learn. I would like to
know more about networking & security, so this is one reason for
learning the tools that are available & how to use them.

The other reason is this: I run apache, as do most linux boxes. I'm not
running a web site, but I leave the permissions etc, so that I can look
at it from another box, or whatever, in addition to local use such as
man2html.
        Well, no one ever looks at my webpage which is fine, it's not
there to be a web page that anyone would find useful. I've never had a
GET request for index.html. Here, check it out & give me some normal GET
requests:
http://68.96.241.130
(it's on dhcp, and the box ain't on 24-7)

Anyway, every single day I get dozens of requests for things like
/MSADC/root.exe, winnt/system32/cmd.exe, etc, etc; all windows stuff &
therefore all failed requests. The typical thing is each IP will look
for about 15 things and then give up. Here's a typical example:
modemcable244.105-203-24.mtl.mc.videotron.ca - - [20/Apr/2002:13:31:48
-0700] "GET /scripts/root.exe?/c+dir HTTP/1.0" 404 210

It doesn't really bother me, but I am curious what sort of reactions can
or should be made, or what if anything should be done about them.

--
-CraigW