Re: courier-imap and windows mail client

On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 12:23:10PM -0400, Jaldhar H. Vyas wrote:
| On 28 Apr 2002, Brian Nelson wrote:
|
| > > Please elaborate on the cons of uw-imapd.
| >
| > It's slow,
|
| For certain values of slow.  This is more to do with mbox vs maildir
| format than the server itself.  In maildir, every message is in a seprate
| file, whereas in mbox they are all in one honking great big one.  So
| maildir is going to be faster for random access while mbox will be better
| for sorting, search etc.

I've already settled on maildir (long before I decided IMAP would be a
good feature to add).

| > bloated,
|
| Well it has a lot more features.

Lighterweight is good, as long as it does what I want :-).

| > buggy,
|
| If so, people are not reporting these bugs to me in the BTS.
|
| > has had security issues...
|
| Not in the past three years or so.  True it used to be the backdoor of
| choice for rooting Red Hat servers before then.

Good way to indicate a data point.

| >  It also interacts
| > poorly with certain imap clients, including outlook.
|
| This is because (surprise, surprise) Outlook doesn't follow the IMAP
| standards properly.

:-).  I'm not going there!

| Also the mbox format doesn't allow multiple concurrent accesses.
| Changing to maildir or uw-imaps' own mbx format can can change that.
|
| >  It doesn't natively support maildir, but I believe the Debian
| >  version has been patched to support it.
| >
| > Partially relevant, there's a performance comparison of courier with
| > maildir vs. uw-imap with mbox here:
| >
| > http://www.courier-mta.org/mbox-vs-maildir/
|
| Yes I have patched uw-imapd to support maildir.

Cool.

| Thus the URL you mention isn't that relevant.

Interesting data nontheless.

| If some cares to do benchmarks of uw-imapd with maildirs vs courier
| I'd be quite interested.  I have a feeling the performance would be
| almost the same.
|
| Now I've talked up uw-imapd, let me tell my pet peeve.  Even minor
| configuration changes (let's say you wanted to make maildir the default or
| change the mailbox directory to ~/mail) require you to recompile the whole
| thing.  Thus for the Debian packages I've had to go with a lowest-common
| denominator approach which doesn't work well for demanding users.

Ok, so what is it configured for?  Will it handle INBOX as
/var/mail/<user> and INBOX.foo as /home/<user>/Mail/foo ?  Can I run
it from xinetd?  Will it let me use a self-signed certificate for ssl?
(right now mutt won't accept my self-signed certificate from
courier-imap-ssl)

Is it easy to recompile it with my options this if it isn't already
configured that way?

What I really want is the location of the (maildir) folders to match
what I have been using with mutt so that the two (traditional mutt,
imap) are interchangable for me.  It would also be convenient if other
users (my dad) can use SSL.

TIA!
-D

--