Re: courier-imap and windows mail client

dman <dman@dman.ddts.net> writes:

> On Sat, Apr 27, 2002 at 04:21:43PM -0700, Brian Nelson wrote:
> | dman <dman@dman.ddts.net> writes:
> |
> | > I just install courier-imap on my system to let my dad receive mail on
> | > it.  The documentation is exceedingly sparse.  I couldn't even find
> | > any mention of where it expects the folders to be.  I managed to work
> | > out that I need a symlink from ~/Maildir to /var/mail/$USER.
> |
> | Yeah, Debian-specific documentation for courier is non-existent.  I
> | despise when developers don't include a README that explains the default
> | Debian configuration for a package.
> |
> | That said, there is a courier-doc package that mirrors the documentation
> | from the website.
>
> Oh, I missed the courier-doc package before.  Still, the docs on the
> website are not very helpful.  They have lots of detail on how to
> compile it, but that isn't helpful because one of debian's buildd's
> did that for me.
>
> I didn't find any info that explains the config file or options or
> even where it looks for the mail.

Yeah, I went through the same trouble when I set up courier.  I gave up
trying to customize it and just went with the default setup, once I
figured out what it was.

> | > Is there any way I can change it to use /var/mail/$USER for the INBOX
> | > and normally-named directories under ~/Mail for subfolders?  I found
> | > that if I create a subfolder named "foo" it will be stored in
> | > ~/Maildir/.foo.
> |
> | AFAIK, the courier mail servers need to have all of the mail in a single
> | directory.  It then follows the naming scheme "INBOX" at the top level
> | (~/Maildir on the local file system), with folders named "INBOX.foo"
> | (~/Maildir/.foo locally), and sub-folders within those named
> | "INBOX.foo.bar" (~/Maildir/.foo.bar locally).
>
> Yeah, I found that, but  I want it to look in ~/Mail for the
> subfolders of INBOX (and not prepend a '.').  If it could do that then
> I could switch back and forth between using mutt normally and using
> imap for something.
>
> | uw-imapd will do what you're asking, but it's a shitty mail server.
>
> If it will do what I want ... why shouldn't I use it?
> Please elaborate on the cons of uw-imapd.

It's slow, bloated, buggy, has had security issues...  It also interacts
poorly with certain imap clients, including outlook.  It doesn't
natively support maildir, but I believe the Debian version has been
patched to support it.

Partially relevant, there's a performance comparison of courier with
maildir vs. uw-imap with mbox here:

http://www.courier-mta.org/mbox-vs-maildir/

--
Brian Nelson <nelson@bignachos.com>