Re: courier-imap and windows mail client

On 28 Apr 2002, Brian Nelson wrote:

> > Please elaborate on the cons of uw-imapd.
>
> It's slow,

For certain values of slow.  This is more to do with mbox vs maildir
format than the server itself.  In maildir, every message is in a seprate
file, whereas in mbox they are all in one honking great big one.  So
maildir is going to be faster for random access while mbox will be better
for sorting, search etc.

> bloated,

Well it has a lot more features.

> buggy,

If so, people are not reporting these bugs to me in the BTS.

> has had security issues...

Not in the past three years or so.  True it used to be the backdoor of
choice for rooting Red Hat servers before then.

>  It also interacts
> poorly with certain imap clients, including outlook.

This is because (surprise, surprise) Outlook doesn't follow the IMAP
standards properly.  Also the mbox format doesn't allow multiple
concurrent accesses.  Changing to maildir or uw-imaps' own mbx format can
can change that.

>  It doesn't
> natively support maildir, but I believe the Debian version has been
> patched to support it.
>
> Partially relevant, there's a performance comparison of courier with
> maildir vs. uw-imap with mbox here:
>
> http://www.courier-mta.org/mbox-vs-maildir/

Yes I have patched uw-imapd to support maildir.  Thus the URL you mention
isn't that relevant.  If some cares to do benchmarks of uw-imapd with
maildirs vs courier I'd be quite interested.  I have a feeling the
performance would be almost the same.

Now I've talked up uw-imapd, let me tell my pet peeve.  Even minor
configuration changes (let's say you wanted to make maildir the default or
change the mailbox directory to ~/mail) require you to recompile the whole
thing.  Thus for the Debian packages I've had to go with a lowest-common
denominator approach which doesn't work well for demanding users.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org>