Re: logrotate and wtmp confusion...

On Fri, Apr 26, 2002 at 02:55:55PM -0500, Grant Edwards wrote:

>     On my Woody system, there's nothing in /etc/logrotate.d
>     except the file for the base-config.  Yet, looking at
>     /var/log shows that syslog, messages, daemon.log user.log,
>     and other stuff are clearly being rotated.

It turns out that logrotate isn't actually used for much of
anything.  There are a whole bunch of individual cron.daily
jobs that rotate log files for various packages (generally
using the "savelog" program).

Needless to say, this approach makes administration of log
files a royal pain, since there are a whole bunch of individual
scripts that have to be modified instead of just changing the
configuration for logrotate.

Since logrotate is an "important" package, I don't think it
would be a big problem if packagers depended on it for rotating
logs rather than installing individual cron.daily jobs.  If
everybody used logrotate, it would make system administration
easier.

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com