Re: logrotate and wtmp confusion...

On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 10:45:06AM -0500, Grant Edwards wrote:

> None of my machines have "chkwtmp", but it turns out that
> mgetty is what's causing the huge wtmp files.  I don't know if
> it's init or mgetty itself that's causing the problem.

For the sake of posterity, here's the deal:

If the modem is turned off, mgetty terminates after about a
minute (times out while initializing the modem).

Then init respawns mgetty.

With each respawn/termination, init logs an event to utmp/wtmp.

Adding a "+" to the inittab entry prevents init from filling up
wtmp with mgetty related entries:

T1:23:respawn:+/sbin/mgetty -x0 -s 38400 ttyS1

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com